Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Romancing the Shoe

Like most women, I wear a very specific shoe size, and the design of the shoe has to meet certain requirements. In my case, I’m a 6-Wide - a compromise since one of my feet is a 5 1/2. The top of the shoe needs to have a bit of give.

And after a few too many sprained and broken ankles, I avoid all but the lowest, widest heels. No Jimmy Choo’s for this girlfriend. Unfortunately, this pretty much limited me to little ole lady shoes and cowboy boots until the increased popularity of the ballet flat, which I think is a boon for all women.

So here I was, shopping with my friend Sharon in a national shoe store chain. This chain marks wide widths with a bright blue spot on the boxes. As you can see, boxes abound. So while she was checking out the design, I was rapidly scanning boxes for a blue circle, then looking for the 6.

“You’re not even looking at the shoes?” Sharon asked.

It was one of those moments I replied without thinking. It was just out of my mouth before I could stop it. “Why should I? Falling in love with a shoe I can’t wear is like falling in love with a 20-year-old man. Pretty, but what would I do with it?”

Sharon hooted. “Oh, I can think of a few things.”

Yeah, right. Well…um… When I was in my late 30s and early 40s, I dated a number of younger men. (Yes, I had a cougar phase…) One gentleman was a mature 24. Another was a not-so-mature 31. They were all very pretty to look at. For the next step, not so much. Age may be “just a number,” but my relationships have to be functional as well as fun. Otherwise, they just sit on the shelf. Like a pretty shoe I can’t wear.

Oh, and no…no purchases. In 3½ aisles of ballet flats, the store had not one pair of 6Ws. Yeah, for me, shoes and relationships should be pleasurable but practical.

Of course, this may explain why I’m still single.…

4 comments:

  1. I have the opposite problem--9 1/2 narrow. Ballet flats are a nightmare. They slip off my heels and try to act like flip flops, slapping against the sole of my feet...and make me turn my ankles. I have one good pair, made by a tennis-shoe company. It makes me wonder who actually has those perfect size 7 medium width feet?

    Not sure how to compare that to relationships... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Karen! - I have a friend who wears an 11 narrow; another wears a 13 wide. I'm convinced that "perfect" is only in the imagination...which works with relationships as well. People are too varied for "perfect." I'll stick with functional and fun. Imperfect can be a lot more intriguing.

      Delete