Monday, November 16, 2015

A New Beginning


A month from today, I start a new journey, and I’ll probably share more of the ups and downs of that one than I have of any of the previous twists and turns my career has taken over the years.

On Monday, December 14th, I will be a freelance editor and writer – with no “day job” – no corporation – to fall back on. I’ve always been happier as a freelancer, although the finances haven’t always had the best outcome. During my last two stints, I wasn’t as prepared as I am now, and I made some serious mistakes, both financially and professionally.
 
This time, I’ve planned, networked, and made no secret of my intentions. I have editing jobs lined up, and I’m in the process of writing two books and four short stories. My goals are ambitious instead of nebulous, and I already have an idea of how disciplined I’ll need to be to make this work.

A few of my friends are watching this warily—they went through the last attempts with me. Still others shrug, since they’ve been doing the same thing for years. But a lot of folks realize that few things are scarier than a blank page.

Still…I feel called to do this. And I plan to take the first steps with joy and trust. Sometimes when you take that leap of faith, you trip and fall. But sometimes, you soar.

Here’s to soaring. For all of us.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! By the way..... I just now focused in on the pictures and must say I enjoyed the trip down memory lane via Rachel's pictures.

    ReplyDelete