Tuesday, June 28, 2016

A Marathon Season


My daughter’s cremains are in a bag, in a box, in a box, in a bag, in my living room, mostly because no one explained how hard it would be to gather up the gumption to scatter them, even though Phyllis and I had already decided where it would happen. So for now, they sit, slightly hidden in the tote bag I brought them home in from the crematorium.

Who knew?

A marathon is run one step at a time.
An excursion of 1,000 miles begins with a single step.
A long haul trucker runs his route one mile at a time.

I know all the clichés, most of which only scratch the surface in explain how hard all of those journeys truly are.

Or that there are gaps in the journey, empty spots filled with nothing but blank stares and open wounds.

I’m still behind, still trying to catch up, still grateful for understanding clients and friends. My lapses have put more than one project’s schedule at risk, and I’m hoping when all is said and done they want to hire me for future projects. I certainly wouldn’t blame them if they didn’t.

I’ve put my own writing on hold, and I’ve sometimes edited far longer during the day and into the night than I should. But of the six projects desperately behind schedule, three have been turned in, one is slightly on hold, and another is close. One more will be tackled in short order along with two new ones waiting in the wings.

I most certainly didn’t have time to take six weeks to stare at the wall…or the floor…or a blank page. But even if I tried to work, my brain did not cooperate. Reading the same page five times, unaware of anything there, does no one good.

I couldn’t read. I couldn’t even pray. There were just no words in my life.

Then…one day…I realized my brain was coming back to life. Adjusting to its new reality.

It’s odd, this new place. I no longer have regularly scheduled trips to Phyllis’s house. I tried at first, until we both realized that our coming together to talk about Rachel was delaying our healing. Our day-to-day had slipped into a kind of normality…until we talked or saw each other. Then the pain came rushing back because we both loved her so deeply and knew the other did as well.

We had lunch this week. We’re better. But the edge is still there, and it’ll take more time to dull.

It’s odd, this new place. I don’t know who I am anymore. Oh, my personality hasn’t changed much…still Ramona…and I have close friends who love and support me. But when you’re the parent of a special needs child, your identity is more completely wrapped up in being “Rachel’s mom” than many parents can grasp. From the time average children can rollover and babble, their journey is toward independence. They move away from their parents, then join them in the regular world. School, sports, ballet, music, jobs, grandchildren.

With Rachel, her very existence depended on our care. She couldn’t eat, drink, talk, walk, or do anything for herself. For almost 29 years, we groomed her, fed her, changed her diaper. (Over her life, she went through about 53,000 diapers. No typo. 53 thousand diapers.) She could not be left unattended at any time. She was too fragile to be more than a room away, in case she choked, scratched herself, or went into a grand mal seizure.

I took great joy in clipping her nails, massaging her legs, even cleaning the jam from between her toes. Even the gritty parts—such as cleaning out her nose or manual bowel extractions—built into our intimacy with each other.

When we changed her clothes, we had to take care to smooth out all wrinkles in the sheets, towels, shirts. We kept a watch on every inch of skin, on guard for pressure sores. Serious vigilance that paid off. Until the day she died, nurses and doctors complimented us on how great her skin looked, remarkable for someone who lay on their back 24 hours a day.

I sometimes wondered if she fussed because something itched or tickled. The next time you have the urge to scratch or flick away a bug or a tickling hair, stop before you do, and consider what it would be like NOT to be able to do those things…or tell anyone about them.

We were her advocates—and she was ours. Adding as much to our lives as we did to hers.

And, oh, that smile! That laugh! She brought into our world the purest of all joys.

It’s odd, this new place. Where none of that exists. And this marathon isn’t just about “getting over” her or “getting through” the pain. Truth is, neither of those things will happen anytime soon. That’s just a reality I’ve a
ccepted.

Instead, this marathon is about finding a center in this new place, a new identity, a new grounding. Work is part of that. And friends. Releasing myself to do things I’ve not be able to do for many years, such as long trips, maybe even overseas. Maybe even a new job in a new city.

 Who knows? Once my world was Rachel…and work.
In this odd, new place, the unknown awaits.
And tackling it is a marathon in and unto itself.

8 comments:

  1. I can only imagine - my Anna is potty trained (took us 6 years), but she can't do anything for herself, either, and we're always waiting for a seizure. And always telling her to SIT DOWN so she doesn't fall. Oh, the scars she has and the blood I've cleaned up. And yeah, mucus and drool. Why do special needs kids have so much?

    I sometimes wonder what I would do with myself if I didn't have Anna to bathe and dress, feed, play with, put on videos for, brush teeth, cut hair, wash clothes, make sure she's safe, ride in the backseat of the van with her on trips, sleep in the same bed with because of her seizures, which often twist her body so she's facedown in the pillow. And doctor visits! Sooooo many doctors! I won't miss any of that, I'm sure.

    But I would miss her smile. And how she looks at me with SUCH love and says, "Mommy!" And how she loves to pray or listen to me read our daily devos. I don't know what she understands, but she sure loves Jesus. One night, a couple of months ago, she sat straight up in bed and said, "Jesus! Jesus! It's Jesus!" That was about 2am. I said, "Baby, are you dreaming about Jesus?" Can you imagine? What a relationship she must have with Him. :) She doesn't have many words (babbles a lot) but she can say Jesus loud and clear.

    Praying you'll be able to rest in Him while you're finding your new normal. Thank you for sharing this journey. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pam! Ooh...the doctors! And the therapists, and so many wanting to try something that MIGHT work better. Just...no. We tried to share Jesus with Rachel through music and church, but we won't know (until later) if any of it took. But I know He has her in his arms. Prayers for you, Anna and all who love her.

      Delete
    2. I am sure she loves Jesus - look at her smile! That kind of joy can only come from the Lord. :)

      And yeah, let's try this or let's try that. UGH. Our new neurologist asked if we tried ONFI. I said yes, just this year, and Anna had a bad reaction to it. The doctor's response? Well, maybe we can try it again in the fall.

      Greater minds than ours ... :( SIGH ...

      Delete
  2. I can't offer understanding because I don't understand. I could offer sympathy, but it would be empty. What I can do, and have done for you, is offer prayers. I will continue to do so as the Lord brings you to mind.

    I'm so glad you have come to the point where you can tell us about her--even the not so fun stuff. I enjoy the pictures. She sure did have an infectious smile.

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, she did. And we'll miss her. But prayers means more than you can imagine. And I'm grateful for them.

      Delete
    2. I love when you talk about our sweet girl. Always have loved the pictures. I miss that smile and that fabulous laughter. As always, thank you for sharing that ray of sunshine with me. And everyone.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ramona, I have been following many of your posts since you lost your daughter and have been praying quietly in the background, not wanting to intrude as a person you barely known. I come forward now because this post was so beautiful. You made me cry. I lost my mom in May and for the last 5 weeks of her life my sister and I cared for her as you did Rachel for entire life. It challenged me to grow in ways I didn't think I could (nor did I want to if I'm honest). I admire and respect you more than I have words to express. Thank you for sharing so beautifully from your heart. I will continue to pray for you as you walk through this new place in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your honesty through all of this. I can't begin to imagine what it's like to not only lose Rachel but that part of your identity as well, learning who you are all over again. Praying for you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete