Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Author, Center Stage: Del Duduit, First Down Devotions


So today, I’m hosting Del Duduit and his new book, First Down Devotions. So let’s start with the basic question: What’s it all about?
It’s true. Fans love a good game. And we love players who inspire us. But who inspires the players? Who do they look to for guidance? First Down Devotions takes an inside look at popular National Football League players, coaches, and the people who help shape them to explore their successes both on and off the gridiron. Recounting personal stories about their walk with Jesus Christ, these superstars serve God and provide positive stories to share with friends, children, and sports fans. Through daily devotions, these players and coaches will inspire you once more, but this time it will be you on the field of life. Get ready to score a touchdown in your own spiritual life.

How and when did you start interviewing athletes?
I stated making connections with players and coaches in the NFL in 2017. I went to all home games for the Cincinnati Bengals and caught up with targeted players after each game. I hold a media credential and have access to players in the locker room. I also attended the Super Bowl in Minneapolis and made more contacts with players there.

What was it about their stories that inspired you to turn them into devotions? Do you think most of them realize how others are inspired by their struggles and successes?
All the athletes and coaches in the devotional have unique stories. Some come from normal, everyday families while others struggled within their environment. Many of them are aware they can be a positive influence on their fans and those who follow their careers. I think that keeps many of them accountable for their actions on and off the field.

Your admiration for these athletes is revealed clearly in your writings. What popular assumption about professional athletes annoys you the most? What would you say to disprove that?
Many fans think that since the athletes make a lot of money and have fame, they are not supposed to have problems. But I have been told many stories about personal problems many of them face, which include family illnesses; children with special needs; family crises and marital problems. The face issues and temptation every day like you and me.

What annoys me the most is some have a sense of arrogance about them and feel they are entitled to special treatment. Not all, but some I ran across demonstrated it very well. I glad that none of the athletes featured in First Down Devotions had those characteristics.

In what way does your faith encourage your writing?
I’d say it’s the other way around. My writing encourages my faith. I struggle myself at times with feelings that I’m inadequate and many of my devotions are written especially for me, and to encourage myself along my journey. I’m just blessed to be able to share them with everyone who reads the book. The devotions are geared to help and strengthen me, but I’m blessed they encourage others.

Why would First Down Devotions make the perfect gift for the football season for all ages of sports fans?
This book is not about football, but rather about the men who play the game. Most people will be able to identify with the struggles and accomplishments from high profile players because the reader has probably experienced similar things. This lets the person turning the pages to know that they have gone through valleys and climbed to the top of the mountain just like a famous player was able to do. It brings the athlete down to a personal level that the reader may not have know before. Sports and players are the tool to deliver a common theme that God can work through anyone.

What’s your next book?
 I have a few in the hopper:
Bama Believer: (releases August 2020)
Auburn Believer: (releases August 2020)
Michigan Motivations: (Releases 2020)
Indiana Inspirations: (Releases 2020)
Dugout Devotions: Inspirational Hits from MLB’s Best Vol. 2 (releases March 2021)
First Down Devotions: Inspiration from NFL’s Best Vol. 2 (releases August 2021 )
Bengal Believer: 40 Days of Who-Dey Votions for the Cincinnati Faithful (release TBD)
Redlegs Believer: 40 Days of Devotions for the Cincinnati Faithful (release TBD)
Browns Believer: 40 Days of Devotions for the Cleveland Faithful (submitted manuscript)
Tribe Time: 40 Days of Devotions for the Cleveland Faithful (submitted manuscript)

So where can readers find you and your books?
They can find me online at several sites:
Website: delduduit.com
Twitter: @delduduit
Instagram: @delduduit
LinkedIn: Del Duduit
Athletes in Action: Contributing writer:

First Down Devotions can be found on Amazon and the New Hope Publishers website:

Del Duduit is an award-winning sportswriter and author. He has been published in Clubhouse Magazine, Sports Spectrum, and on ToddStarnes.com. He is a contributing writer for Athletes in Action, The Christian View, Bridges Magazine, and PM Magazine. He is the co-editor for Southern Ohio Christian Voice and blogs weekly at delduduit.com. He lives in Lucasville, Ohio, with his wife Angie.

No comments:

Post a Comment