Monday, January 3, 2022

Goals and Intentions

So I didn't do very well on my reading goals, as posted on Goodreads. Because I had read so many books in 2020 and the first part of 2021, I set out with this lofty idea that I could read at least 50 books in 2021.

At least. 

After all, I'd read almost 70 in 2020. Fifty should be a breeze. 

But my intentions took a left turn to some unexpected goals. 

I signed a four-book contract. Then another for a novella. Then another for a fifth novel. And a sixth. 

It was something of a banner year for my writing career. In terms of the actual writing, I finished books 1 & 2, the novella, and book 5. I wrote part of book 3. All told, I've written about 350,000 words in 2021. Books 1, 2, and 5 were edited by the publishers and revised by me. I also worked as an editor for ISM as well as on several freelance projects. 

I've been a little busy. 

I also detoured from reading fiction into nonfiction, which slowed me down a lot. A lot of that reading was historical research, since books 1-4, the novella, and book 6 are historical romances for a secular publisher. (The novella is actually in the anthology on the right in the above screenshot.) New field, but one I love. But there was a lot of research and background to be covered.

These will be published under a new name, so as not to create confusion for my readers. As Ramona Richards, I will still write Christian suspense, and that's what book 5 is. I signed with Kregel for a sequel to Burying Daisy Doe. The Kregel team is remarkable, and I love working with them.  I'm thrilled with the story, and I am on tenterhooks until Circle of Vengeance releases in the fall.

So that was a bit of 2021. As for 2022, I obviously have lots of deadlines, but I also plan to read. And read. And read some more. Once again, I've posted my intention to read at least 50 books this year. 

I think setting lofty goals and intentions is a good thing. For me, it's like having a big dream. And, as they say, dream big, then make a plan to get there, and work like crazy to make it happen. 

Here's hoping ALL OUR DREAMS find a home in 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment