Sunday, February 17, 2013

Editorial Question: Say What?

This week's editorial questions comes from Mary Foster: After greetings are over what is the one thing you want to hear an author say/ask?

I love this question, especially since I'm about to head off to TWO writers conferences: the Florida Christian Writers Conference (Feb. 27-March 3) and the Mt. Hermon Christian Writers Conference (March 21-26). I'm going to only a few conferences this year (and fewer next year), but still hope I get to see lots of folks.

In a pitch meeting, after the introductions, I usually take the lead with "So tell me about your story."

The key word in this is "story." STORY. Not message. Not theme. Not motif. STORY. I don't want to hear what lesson you're trying to teach. If your STORY doesn't engage me, I could care less about the message or the theme.

1) It all starts with the story.

A good way to begin a pitch is with the genre, word count, and status. "I have a historical romance that's 90,000 words, and it's complete."

Then move into the story. "It's about a woman, Carol Ann, who was kidnapped by the Commanche tribe in 1836. It details her trials and tribulations while with the tribe, her love story with her husband, the drama of the uncle who searched for her, and the impossibility of her readjustment when she was 'rescued' 24 years later."

Then STOP and see if I have any questions. Usually I will. This is also the time when an editor will say something like, "Sounds interesting but we don't do historicals before 1850. Do you have anything else?" IF an editor isn't interested in that pitch, DON'T PUSH. Either say, "Yes," and pitch the next story, or ask if editor has specific story ideas they are searching for. Don't surrender your time just because your story doesn't fit and you don't have another one. Show the editor you're interested in writing for a career and want to be open.

2) Be prepared to answer questions.

If the editor is interested, there WILL be questions. "Tell me more about your heroine. What's her main character arc?" or "Explain the central conflict." or "Take me up to the black moment." Know your story inside and out.

I sometimes become frustrated with writers who can't separate their story from the takeaway or the message. "It's about a woman who learns to forgive her uncle for his abuse." Fine, but what's the STORY? "It's about a woman who learns to forgive..."

That's not the story; that's the takeaway. The story is about Abigail, who's enjoying a great life as a journalist but can't quite shake the nightmares that drain her and interfere with her ability to get close to Jeff, the love of her life. Just as they are close to breaking up, her uncle dies and when she and Jeff return for the funeral, all the buried family drama unravels around them.

Yow! NOW I want to hear more!

What do I want to hear next?

Your STORY.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ramona,
    I love these comments, especially since I'll be attending a few writer's conferences soon. Also, I'm putting together an ebook (to give away at my blog) about something similar to this, and I'd love to share a part of your advice if it would be okay with you. I'd give you the credit and a short bio.
    Random Writing Rants
    Michelle
    (btw, i hope to see you in FL soon.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michelle. I'd be glad to share. Please contact me at ramona@ramonarichards.com so I can send you something more official re: permission. I appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Ramona. I love how you clarify the process of telling the story!

    ReplyDelete