Monday, February 25, 2013

Editorial Question: What Makes a Manuscript Stand Out?

This week's question comes from Daphne Woodall: When you've received 20 manuscripts over a period of time to review what is it about those that stand out that gets you excited as an editor. Is it that they followed all the guidelines, your favorite genre, the synopsis, the storyline, well written, it's uniqueness or a combination?

-------

The answer to this is easy...from my point of view. From the writer's POV, the answer is far more frustrating. Let me explain by offering a couple of examples. 

1) About a decade ago, I was freelancing as an editor, and one of my frequent clients was Howard Publishing. One day the editor sent me a manuscript for review (not edit) with the question "Should we sign this author?" I opened the manuscript and three pages later I called the editor and said, "If you don't sign her, you'll be missing a great opportunity." The book was Denise Hunter's Mending Places.

2) A few weeks ago, I was given an opportunity to acquire a manuscript to "drop in" to our spring list. A "drop in" book can be in a percarious position. It will be added to a list that's already been sold to the stores (several months ago). It needs to be strong, well done, and be able to stand out. MOST of the time, drop-ins are well-known authors who show up with a book at the last minute.

In this case, however, I was looking for a debut author with a complete manuscript. I went through the submissions I had like lightning through a cloud, looking for that one manuscript that stood out so suddenly, I knew it would work. I scoured manuscripts, reading ONLY the first five pages. I narrowed my choices to three . . . then to one. I sent that one to my team, then contacted the agent. The book, Karen Barnett's First Impressions, has been retitled Mistaken. It will be fast-tracked and release this July.

So what was it about those manuscripts that made them stand out, revealing their attraction and saleability in less than five pages?

1) Format. All recommended guidelines were followed. Why is this important? Because I was looking for a PROFESSIONAL, someone who had taken the time to study her craft and her business. Format reveals this in a heartbeat. If an author doesn't care enough to study the business, it's hard to take her seriously.

2) Rapid-fire characterization. Both books provide huge amounts of detail about the heroine's character, without being preachy (aka "telling") or cloying (aka overly sentimental). Dialogue (external and internal) provided clues and moved things along without being too introspective. 

3) Immediate motivation. Through action and character development, the first five pages revealed the characters' primary movtivation.

4) Grammatical accuracy. No typos or other mistakes to trip me up.

5) Superb word choices and creative but fluid syntax, which reveal a unique voice.

When these five things get my attention, then I check the synopsis to see if the story is well-drawn with engaging twists and a reasonable plot arc.

These are the things that are within the author's control. But then I have to figure in other details, like author's platform and web presence, genre fit within our upcoming seasons, etc. For instance, I can only buy so many historical romances a year.This is the frustrating part for authors, and it's what makes those first elements so essential.

Oh, and those first lines of Karen's story that got my attention? This is the opening, unedited. While there are tweaks I'll make, this opening made me keep reading, then turn to the synopsis, which sealed the deal.

--------------------
MISTAKEN

     Laurie Burke clutched the steering wheel of her father’s Model T as the car lurched down the deserted road toward the beach, the headlights barely denting the dark night. Rain spilled over the edges of the canvas top and soaked through her coat, wetting her through to the skin. Plowing through a low bog, the tires sent up a spray of muddy water.
     If it weren’t for her brother, Laurie would be safe at home, asleep in her bed. She tapped her fingernails against the wheel and breathed a quick prayer.
     One honorable man in my life—is that really too much to ask, God?
     As the road veered to the west, tracing the edge of the bluff, Laurie slowed the automobile to a crawl, scanning the murky shadows for signs of life. She drew in a quick breath as she spotted another automobile, pulled off the side of the road. Perched near the edge of the bluff, the car’s front wheels pointed in the direction of the Straits, not that one could see the water on a night like this.
     Carefully, she guided the Ford in beside it. Empty. She hadn’t expected to spot lovers necking in the front seat, but only fools would be out on the beach in the dark of night during a storm.
     Laurie’s stomach churned. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Please, God, don’t let my brother be one of those fools.

 

3 comments:

  1. What a thrill to see my story featured here! I've been very curious about what happened behind the scenes. Love being able to see it from your POV. What a treat! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm just thrilled this was in my "pile" of submissions. Glad to have you on the AP team.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that was a fantastic excerpt, Karen! Congratulations. :) Thank you, Ramona, for the examples.

    I was wondering. When you mentioned about formatting, were you meaning the general guidelines of Abingdon itself, or are there guidelines that are typical to most Christian publishers?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete