Saturday, December 22, 2018

Convenience Cooking - Vegetable Beef Soup

So I posted about this on Facebook, and one of my friends asked for the recipe. I've decided I'll do this ever so often, just because I love gloming together new dishes. I thought this would be a good Saturday post.

I am a convenience cook; definitely not elite or gourmet. Just down to earth and practical, often using just what I have on hand. I hate chopping stuff. 

My mother gave me my first lessons, and I picked up others from my mother-in-law, my grandmother, my college roommate (who is an awesome cook), a superb cookbook editor I worked with (yes, I've worked on cookbooks too), and, believe it or not, chemistry class. After all, cooking and blending flavors is a LOT like chemistry. 

Vegetable Beef Soup



1.5 pounds ground chuck
1 15-oz. bag frozen trinity mix (or similar)
1/2 t. chopped garlic
1 T. Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
1 jar Classico roasted garlic pasta sauce
1 16-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15-oz. bag frozen vegetable soup blend vegetables
1 32-oz. College Inn beef broth

In a 6-quart pan (or larger), mix the first five ingredients and simmer until beef is brown and the onions in the trinity mix are clear. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30-45 minutes, until veggies are tender and flavors are blended.

Options
1/2 15-oz. bag frozen green beans (I love green beans and there's never enough in those frozen mixed blends)
1 1/2 t. cumin, if you like it spicier
16 oz. additional beef broth, if you like it soupier (I run out of room in my largest pan)
I serve over cooked egg noodles 

Additional thoughts: This is one of those dishes that tastes better the next day. As to the salt and pepper, I use about 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. It will depend a LOT on whether you use low salt broth or need a low salt diet. Likewise, your choice of pasta sauce. I use Classico because my ex claimed it was closest to his mother's homemade sauce. (Old habits die hard.) All spices can be adjusted to taste; that's part of the fun of cooking.



No comments:

Post a Comment