Sunday, December 16, 2018

Intercession – 2019


When I was in college, intercession was an intense three-week “semester” nestled between the spring and summer semesters. One class, four hours a day, five days a week. I took two intercession classes during my time in college, one in Koine Greek and one on twentieth century drama. In the latter, we read one play each night, discussed it during the next day’s class, wrote an essay on it, then read another play that night. During the Greek class, I lived with flashcards, a Greek New Testament (which I still have), and the classes focused on syntax and translation. The final exam was to translate the first chapters of the gospel of John.
 
During intercession, I did nothing but classwork and eat. Following the class, I’d grab lunch, then start the homework. I’d make dinner in my room, then more studying. Bedtime came early, because the classes started at 8am.

I learned a great deal, some of which I still remember. Just don’t ask me to translate any of that Greek without a dictionary.

But it was in that Greek class that I first heard another definition of “intercession.” One with a spiritual overtone, a reaching out to offer prayer and compassion toward others. And it’s been on my mind as I’ve prayed about my direction for 2019.

A “word of the year” has been a tradition of mine for the last few years. In 2015, it was “Flame.” In 2016, it was “Bloom,” although I had little clue when I chose it what the events of that year would bring, and that blooming would be me in the process of recovery and renewal. The year 2017 brought a time of “Service,” and 2018 brought “Listen,” as I still struggled to find new ground and focus following the changes of the previous two years.

But 2019 is different. This year will be less reflection and redirection than an outward look at the world around me. I’ve taken the year off from conference travel, and I plan to take the first two real vacations in more than 30 years. I plan to use my down time to write, rest, and pray. Pray, especially, for not only the people I love but everyone around me. To “intercede.”

So if you need prayer during the year, never hesitate to ask. It’ll be an honor to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment