Wednesday, December 19, 2018

To New Orleans and Back - a 48-Hour Jaunt

I'd never been to New Orleans, although I have a trip planned there in March 2019. I'm a little nervous about this, since it would be a new city at the very height of its primary tourist event of the year: Mardi Gras. 

Lake Pontchartrain under a gorgeous sky.
So when my boss asked if I wanted to make a quick trip down for business, I jumped at the chance. Drive down Monday, take care of the business stuff that afternoon and Tuesday morning, then head back Tuesday afternoon. Exhausting, but at least I didn't have to do the driving.

We had the first meeting at two, then the hosting folks took us to a local place, Joey K's. Superb food and great company. Then we drove around the French Quarter for a bit, finally stopping at the Cafe Du Monde for beignets, followed by a quick stroll around Jackson Square.

Tuesday brought the final presentations and meetings, lots of quick Q&As with some super smart folk, then lunch at Dooky Chase's Restaurant. Historic and away from the downtown sprawl.

It was the perfect quick and beneficial intro to a town my boss adores--and from the responses I got on Facebook--so do a lot of people. Despite its ups and downs, goods and ills (there are sections that will simply never bounce back from Katrina), the Crescent City is a jewel to be treasured.

No comments:

Post a Comment