Friday, December 28, 2018

When Christmas Traditions Vanish

When people ask me what I plan to do for Christmas, I jokingly tell them, "My taxes. It's my last Christmas tradition." 

The reaction to this is mixed...

But the truth is I do usually do my taxes over the holidays, a tradition that started when my daughter and I were stranded at our apartment by an ice storm. No travel to the relatives or seeing friends. All my plans canceled, and I needed to do SOMEthing to get my mind off my disappointment. 

But I found I relished getting all that prep behind me, and I had several undisturbed days to do it. I still talked to my friends and my mom and brother, but it reminded me that the unexpected can happen and we need to be ready for it. 

My family was never big on Christmas traditions, but we did have several. On Christmas Eve, Daddy would take us out to see the houses lit up for the holiday while Santa/Mom would put out the presents. We always opened them on Christmas Eve because Christmas Day meant either work for Daddy or travel to my grandparents. Getting married disrupted these, but some new ones developed as well. When Rachel was born we tried to add more, but none really took. And we divorced when she was six.

My parents are gone now, as is Rachel. My brother lives in Virginia. We talk on Christmas Day. But I no longer decorate or have any strong traditions. I get plenty of invitations from friends and cousins, which I greatly appreciate. But this extreme introvert loves her time alone. Just me and the tax man. 

And I seriously cherish it. 

My memories of those past traditions are delightful and pleasant. But one of the greatest memories was my parents teaching me about the true meaning of Christmas and the greatest Gift of all. And THAT remains my focus, no matter what. 

And I lied. I did put up one Christmas decoration. A few years ago, an author sent me this. Simple. But I love it, and I hang it up every year. This year, it went on my front door, a reminder than whoever enters in, finds glory. 

Here's hoping your Christmas was equally blessed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment